National momentum to bring broadband internet service to our nation’s rural areas continues to grow. An increasing number of electric cooperatives have entered the retail broadband business, or are considering a broadband strategy. Major technology upgrades such as an expansion of broadband coverage come with significant, and sometimes unprecedented, challenges and costs. This course walks participants through key parts of the due diligence process to better prepare boards to make a “go” or “no go” decision on a broadband strategy.Key Topics
- Recognize the key elements of the broadband landscape.
- Explain the link between broadband and the smart grid.
- Recognize the importance of long-term planning when considering a broadband strategy.
- Discuss key elements of the due-diligence process when considering a broadband strategy.
- Given a case study, distinguish between the board’s oversight responsibilities and management’s operational responsibilities.
NRECA – 1 BLC credit
CEU – 0.6 credits