WHERE TO TAKE THIS COURSE
- Recognizing the purpose and value of a governance assessment.
- Analyzing the benefits and risks of various governance practices using case studies and real world cooperative scenarios.
- Strategizing ways to implement the learning from the classroom to discussion and action in the boardroom.
NRECA offers the opportunity to take this course several times each year at the following events:
NOTE: Please check each event's schedule to see what courses are being offered.
Additionally, these courses can be delivered on-site at your co-op, statewide or G&T.
Learn more about our on-site training opportunities.
DIRECTOR COMPETENCIES COVERED IN THIS COURSE
Protocol and Practices
- Engages in activities that support the board in determining its own priorities and information needs.
- Establishes policies that provides guidance and sets expectations for performance.
- Monitors board operations and takes responsibility for board actions and results.
- Builds a civil, constructive, mutually respectful relationship with the CEO.
Analytical Thinking and Decision Making
- Thinks systematically, conceptually, and analytically to determine effective solutions.
- Engages in strategic planning that contributes to the direction, core values and goals of the cooperative.
Risk Management and Oversight
- Forecasts and evaluates a variety of risks and identifies strategies to avoid or mitigate their impact.
Cooperative Principles and Practices
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the cooperative buisness model and a commitment to cooperative values.
Community Engagement and Communication
- Places the cooperative in a collaborative position for maintaining and growing healthy communities.
- Focuses on the needs of members.
Self- Awareness /Continual Learning
- Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement
Builds Relationships and Influences Others
- Creates and fosters constructive working relationships; Persuades others towards an outcome consistent with the organization’s goals.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Leverages the talents of each person and promotes cultural awareness among board members.
Integrity and Courage
- Makes decisions and acts consistently with values, professional standards, and the broader interests of the cooperative.
NRECA – 1 credit
CEU – 0.6 credits