There is no fun in dysfunction. Petty conflicts, back stabbing behavior, gossip and mistrust make it hard to go to work. Counter to conventional wisdom, however, the causes of these dysfunctional behaviors are both identifiable and curable. With the right tools, supervisors and managers can transform their work environment to one of cohesion and collaboration.
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team approach, developed by best-selling author and consultant Patrick Lencioni, identifies the root causes of dysfunction on teams and provides the keys to overcoming them. Using this approach, this course empowers supervisors and managers to establish trust, gain commitment to team goals, clarify roles and expectations, effectively communicate and constructively debate issues, making better decisions and creating a team environment to optimize performance.
- Communicate openly and honestly with your team members and colleagues.
- Recognize that – as the team's leader - you must "go first" in establishing cohesive behaviors on the team and practice techniques for taking this first step.
- Leverage peer to peer accountability.
- Lead teams in moving beyond artificial harmony and learn how to generate healthy conflict.
- Recognize the power of vulnerability-based trust verses predictive trust, and practice the behaviors needed to build trust.
- Measure the current level of "dysfunction" in your team or co-op and create a Gap Analysis Strategy to build the bridge.
Leadership Skills Assessment
Drawn from the Electric Cooperative Employee Competencies, our Leadership Skills Assessment was designed to help you understand which of NRECA's supervisory, management and leadership courses and events may be most appropriate for you.
Supervisor and Manager Development Program
- NRECA – 1 credit
- CEU – 0.6 credits
Read What Past Participants Say About the Course
“Really great information to take back to my team! The information is a difference-maker for the success of any team.”
Amy Griffin, Member Relations and External Communications, Cooperative Energy, Hattiesburg, Mississippi