With more than 40% of veterans hailing from rural communities and a heightened challenge of attracting and retaining a new workforce due to a retirement wave and changing technology facing America’s electric cooperatives, facilitating the connection between job-seeking veterans and electric cooperative career opportunities is a win-win endeavor. NRECA’s Vets Power Us initiative was developed to support veterans, active military and their spouses by:
- Helping veterans explore meaningful career opportunities within America’s electric cooperatives.
- Helping co-ops recruit, hire and honor veterans.
This program provides co-ops with access to resources that will help them with veteran recruitment efforts and provides veterans with information about electric co-op career opportunities.
Make the Commitment
In addition to the resources below available to all members, co-ops can access additional tools to build a veteran-friendly employer brand by making the commitment to recruit and honor veterans and their spouses. Additional resources include:
- Vets Power Us commitment certificate that can be displayed in a prominent area at your co-op.
- Vets Power Us commitment web graphic that can be used on your website.
- Vets Power Us vehicle magnets and promotional stickers to reflect your veteran-friendly employer brand.
[button title="Make%20the%20Commitment" link="%2Fprograms-services%2Fhr%2Fveteran-hiring-initiative%2FPages%2FSecure%2FVets-Power-Us-Commitment.aspx%3Froute%3Dcommit" color="primary" /]
Has your co-op already made the commitment?
Use this form to order additional Vets Power Us-branded vehicle magnets and promotional stickers.
[button title="Materials%20Order%20Form" link="%2Fprograms-services%2Fhr%2Fveteran-hiring-initiative%2FPages%2FSecure%2FVets-Power-Us-Commitment.aspx%3Froute%3Dshopify" class="ghost" /]
Veterans can enter your workforce with identifiable and transferable skills to help achieve your co-op's mission. Their military experiences add value for the electric cooperative workforce because they:
- Have extensive technical, leadership and safety skills.
- Have the proven ability to learn new concepts and skills.
- Are mission-driven.
- Have received crisis and risk management training.
- Are adaptable and have great problem-solving skills.
- Work efficiently, effectively and diligently in high-pressure and fast-paced environments.
Similarities between electric co-ops and military:
The military's values align well with the Seven Cooperative Principles.
Both are highly-dependent on advanced technology to achieve objectives.
Cooperatives and the military are both voluntary in nature.
Both prioritize a respect for procedure, a concern for community and a strong organizational commitment.
Co-op members can reinforce their commitment to local veteran families by supporting and honoring them through the community component of Vets Power Us. Co-ops can partner with local organizations to raise awareness, build relationships and support their local veteran community.
Ways to get involved and support your local veteran community:
- Volunteer your time, make a monetary donation or sponsor an event at a local military community service organization or at your co-op.
- Assemble care packages and letters for deployed service members to show your support.
- Organize a gift drive during the holidays for children of less fortunate military families.
For other ways to get involved, check out the links to the following websites:
In Their Own Words
In honor of Veterans Day, we asked veterans to share about similarities between their military experience and working for America’s electric cooperatives. Take a few minutes to hear what they had to say in this powerful video.
[youtube url="https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DU6Ds0uHmzZM" /]
National November Veteran Engagement Campaign: #VetsPowerUs
Every November, NRECA invites you to post a photo of your veteran employees using the hashtag #VetsPowerUs. By leveraging the collective power of America's electric cooperatives, we show appreciation for our veteran employees while reinforcing our industry's commitment to hiring veterans and highlighting the range of exciting careers at a co-op.
It's easy to participate! On or around Veteran's Day, post a photo of a veteran co-op employee to social media with the hashtag #VetsPowerUs and be sure to include:
- Employee's name, military branch
- Current position/department at co-op, name of co-op, city, state
[image-caption title="%20Sample%20%23VetsPowerUs%20social%20media%20post." description="%20" image="%2Fprograms-services%2Fhr%2Fveteran-hiring-initiative%2FPublishingImages%2Fvetspowerus_example.jpg" /]
For some examples,
check out the wonderful photos across the country shared during the 2020 campaign. And don't forget to follow NRECA on
Twitter because we will be sharing and retweeting your photos, too!
[divider style="solid" /]
For questions or additional information about the Vets Power Us initiative, contact: