1. Describe your current role and your responsibilities.
I am the Vice President Internal Audit & Compliance. I provide independent assurance to the Board of Directors and objective insight to the CEO and senior executives. I Serve on the Risk Management Committee which oversees an enterprise risk management program for Cobb EMC and its wholly-owned subsidiary Gas South. I also apply a risk-based approach to identify the most impactful assurance and advisory engagements and compliance oversight activities
2. In general, how has the Management Internship Program (MIP) helped you in your work and in your career?
MIP accelerated my understanding of electric coops. It provided a network of peers that I continue to reach out to for advice and input. It helped me change focus from being a contributor to a leader.
3. What’s one thing from MIP that has made a difference for you? While I wasn't new to the electric industry, I was fairly new to coops when I did MIP. The experience really solidified my appreciation for the coop community and how different yet the same we are across the country.
4. What is something you’ve approached differently or had greater success with because of what you learned from MIP?
The legal/fiduciary discussion was particularly helpful in my compliance role and has been a good reference particularly when we onboard new executive staff and discuss governance-related issues.
5. If you were telling a peer or colleague about MIP, what would you want them to know?
In other words, what advice would you give someone considering the MIP? I'd say you'll get out of it what you put into it. Bring your curiosity and a learning mindset. And warm clothes!