1. Describe your current role and your responsibilities.
I am the General Manager where I oversee all functions and departments of the cooperative.
2. In general, how has the Management Internship Program (MIP) helped you in your work and in your career?
MIP not only helped me understand how multi-faceted a cooperative truly is, but it solidified my desire to become a General Manager.
3. What’s one thing from MIP that has made a difference for you? One thing from MIP that made a difference for me are my newly formed network of co-op leaders. We call on each other often. I've gotten some really fantastic advice and worked through situations with my classmates. The mutual respect and trust we now have is extraordinary and so very helpful!
4. What is something you’ve approached differently or had greater success with because of what you learned from MIP?
The idea that all working is silos, although commonplace among co-ops, is not ideal. Improving interdepartmental communication is hard, but very necessary. MIP helped us see how co-ops are evolving; planning for this will be key.
5. If you were telling a peer or colleague about MIP, what would you want them to know? In other words, what advice would you give someone considering the MIP?
This is an experience like no other. If you're truly committed to a long-term career with co-op, you will not regret this course. The agenda, information, setting, projects, classmates, Gary's insight (and jokes) will enrich you in more ways than one.