The distribution cooperative marketplace is changing faster today than at any time since our foundational period. Distribution cooperatives' relationship with their members are transforming due to changing member preferences, new business models, new technologies and third-party applications. This course focuses on how these changes call for different ways of thinking, data collection and analysis at the board level if boards are to fulfill their oversight responsibilities and strategic vision.
WHERE TO TAKE THIS COURSE
Recognize the drivers of the changing industry landscape writ large.
Discuss how the evolving energy landscape impacts governance and the way a board performs its oversight function.
Envision where they would like to see their co-op be in 5-7 years
Identify specific data necessary to inform a recommended course of action.
NRECA offers the opportunity to take this course several times each year at the following events:
NOTE: Please check each event's schedule to see what courses are being offered.
Additionally, these courses can be delivered on-site at your co-op, statewide or G&T.
Learn more about our on-site training opportunities.
DIRECTOR COMPETENCIES COVERED IN THIS COURSE
- Monitors board operations and takes responsibility for board actions and results.
Analytical Thinking and Decision Making
- Thinks systematically, conceptually, and analytically to determine effective solutions.
- Engages in strategic planning that contributes to the direction, core values and goals of the cooperative.
Risk Management and Oversight
- Forecasts and evaluates a variety of risks and identifies strategies to avoid or mitigate their impact.
- Demonstrates an appropriate level of financial knowledge and understanding and can interpret financial reports and statements and monitor corrective action to ensure financial goals.
Industry Principles and Concept
- Knows the basic jargon and concepts of the energy industry.
- Listens, relates and expresses oneself in a manner that is effective while supporting mutual understanding.
- Remains open to new ideas, information, and approaches.
NRECA – 1 credit
CEU – 0.6 credits